Aug 8, 2016.
The world is going crazy over Pokemon Go – one of the latest hugely successful mobile games. If you haven’t heard of it, you should visit the app store now!
Since Pokemon Go is keeping people hooked to their handsets for hours, there’s obviously something unique about this addictive game. Also, it seems to be the most powerful games of the 21st century that has a message and teaches users something different from other popular games found in app stores.
At present, Pokemon Go is the most popular paid app in iOS store within a span of few weeks. Besides downloading the app, users are also spending lots of cash on the app through in app purchases. In fact, Sensor Tower reveals that Pokemon Go is already generating more revenue than any popular iOS app in America.
So, the big question is – what is making Pokemon Go so popular?
There Are Few Reasons That Cannot Be Ignored
- Nintendo launched Pokemon Go recently. In 2012, Niantic launched a similar app called Ingress. Though Ingress was different, it has striking similarities with Nintendo’s PokemonGO. The technical aspects are the same but they have worked on the storyline and chosen a recognized name – Pokemon. Here, Pokemon has become a brand, much loved by children and commonly known to parents. However, Ingress could not make it big because it did not have the brand appeal or image. Although approximately 12 million people played Ingress, it did not last long. But the pulse of Pokemon Go seems to be working.
- Pokemon Go was easily accessible to both Android and iOS users, which was really appreciated. Very few companies do that! Also, they have ensured that the process of signing up is least complicated. Some users might fret at the thought of not being able to log-in with Facebook, but there are good reasons. Used well!
- Seamless gameplay is the pro feature of Pokemon Go app. The app requires no explanation whatsoever! Enter, get started and earn your rewards. There’s least on-boarding. In fact, everything about this Role Playing Game is a huge success.
Features with a Difference
There are some games with common sharing and playing features. However, Pokemon Go is different from all those games. It has everything in it – from Role Playing to Sharing and Screenshots. You can level your character, catch the first Pokemon and collect items too. And, everything happens really fast.
Smooth navigation, constant activity and lots of fun!
Most importantly, Pokemon Go depends entirely on marketing word of mouth! There’s nothing like internal sharing or friend-ing within this game. This is one feature that literally forces players to take frequent screenshots and share it with their social network to project their progress.
Now, this may seem to be nagging for some users, but it is not! Considering that Pokemon Go is an augmented reality app, you are compelled to talk to people. Instead of focusing in social sharing, the game actually encourages users to interact with everyone, even strangers. So, you are never really alone!
You know your friends are also playing this popular game and you want to find them – nothing to worry! You can track your friends quickly – the main reason behind the soaring popularity of this game. There are a lot of games that force you to choose your friends and add them first. If you don’t, you cannot play the game. Well, it calls for time investment and might make you fret and leave the game. However, Pokemon Go is definitely different and just the game for you that doesn’t demand anything. It is pure pleasure and gaming.
Is Pokemon Go Likely to Stick Around?
It’s too early to predict the fate of this viral game. However, there are a few interesting things you should know:
- The game has a brighter and better future than what we can see now. Whilst it could get stagnate after a while, some core players are likely to stick.
- Augmented reality is the USP of this game. Although the concept existed, it wasn’t used to the optimum. Rather, it was used for experimental purposes only. So, this feature might be the reason for Pokemon Go to stay.
Well, you have to play the game to really get a feel of it!
About the Author:
Sanjay Shah, Founder & CEO, Cognisun, Inc.
Highly motivated passionate individual with more than two decades of sound experience in delivering software solutions across several verticals across various countries like US, UK, Australia, Canada and India.